The Hertfordshire County Council office project involved the rationalisation of the council’s office portfolio, involving the relocation of 2500 staff. The programme released 36 properties for disposal and relocated staff into three strategic locations in the west, north and centre of the county. The fit-out of new and existing buildings provided accommodation in the north and west, of 100,000sq ft and 110,000sq ft respectively, while County Hall in Hertford provided the central base.
A further acquisition and fit-out provided a 57,000sq ft training facility in the north. The programme was far more than just a property solution and was accordingly titled ‘The Way We Work’. This led to the development of new ways of working through evaluating the traditional approach of 1 person/1 workstation (1 to 1) to the proven model that is used in the commercial sector e.g. 3 people/2 workstations (3 to 2), reducing the required office space by 20%.
The project illustrated above involved the relocation of 1400 staff to two existing buildings in Stevenage. These buildings provide office and training accommodation to various key departments within Hertfordshire County Council.