The Intermediate Engineer will assist in the delivery of projects by taking responsibility for specific areas of the design development, ensuring a good standard of engineering in accordance with Bryden Wood standards and procedures.
We are looking for a strong team player with appropriate experience, who can think creatively and act tactically and efficiently. The role includes effective internal team communication, administration, and project co-ordination, as well some aspects of business development (as advised by senior management).
- Ability to deliver to deadlines within the design team
- Attendance at the relevant internal CPD seminars to further own learning
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Good attention to detail
- Ability to recognise potential design issues for discussion with Senior Engineering Management
- Ability to interpret client’s requirements
- Ability to design main structural components from concept to working drawings
- Provide support for Senior Engineers in the design of projects
- Maintain and produce designs which comply with the relevant regulations, company procedures and company standards
- Prepare specifications and contribute to reports to support Senior Engineers
- Understand drawing programmes, schedules, and design check lists
- Ensure that design work is checked and understand the importance of QA procedures
- Awareness of the company business plan and objectives
- Provide project support in design and administration to Senior Engineers
- Deliver appropriate designs as a member of a multi-skilled team
- Ability to work with all areas of the Practice, effectively communicating across other areas of the practise as required, including internationally with teams operating from other offices.
- Communication across the team where appropriate.
- Good negotiation, communication, influencing and written skills
- Integrity and commitment to service
- Able to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Able to identify key project issues and propose viable solutions for discussion with senior colleagues
- Personable, approachable and flexible
- Demonstrable success in contributing towards the projects you are involved in
- Successful design and delivery of small projects under your control
- Knowledge of engineering forms and precedents including why they were appropriate to the specific situations
- Experience of running small projects to deliver technical and commercial success
- Recognition of limits of own knowledge and when to seek assistance from Senior Engineers
- Experience of scheming technical solutions and presenting these internally and externally
- Able to design and detail in timber, steel, concrete and masonry
- Able to analyse engineering structures in 2D and 3D
- Able to present clear calculations to justify an engineering proposal and check calculations
- Able to inspect work on site, record opening up works and defects, recognise and report unsafe working practices
- Awareness of responsibilities under CDM regulations.
This description reflects the core activities of the role and is not intended to be all inclusive. Additional duties within the company may be required and as such a flexible working approach is necessary.