We are looking for a Structural Engineer to join the growing Civil & Structural team in our London office.
The Engineer will assist in the delivery of a project by taking responsibility for specific areas of the design development, ensuring a good standard of engineering in accordance with Bryden Wood standards and procedures.
The role requires a strong team player, to have the ability to think creatively and act tactically and efficiently. The role will include the effective internal team communications, administration, and projects co-ordination as well some aspects of business development as advised by senior management.
- Ability to deliver to deadlines within the design team
- Attendance to the relevant internal CPD seminars to further own learning
- Good communication and written skills
- Good attention to detail
- Ability to recognise potential design issues for discussion with Senior Engineering management
- Ability to interpret client's requirements
- Ability to design main structural components from concept to working drawings
- Provide support to Senior Engineers in the design of projects
- To maintain and produce designs which comply with the relevant regulations, company procedures and company standards
- To prepare specifications and contribute to reports to support Senior Engineers
- To understand drawing programmes, schedules and design check lists
- Ensure that design work is checked and understand the importance of QA procedures
- Provide project support in design and administration to Senior Engineers.
- Deliver appropriate designs as a member of a multi skilled team
- Good negotiation, communication, influencing and written skills
- Integrity and commitment to service
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Ability to identify key project issues and propose viable solutions for discussion with senior colleagues
- Personable, approachable and flexible
- Communication across the team where appropriate
- Experience of running small projects to deliver technical and commercial success
- Experience of scheming technical solutions and presenting these internally and externally
- The ability to design and detail in timber, steel, concrete and masonry
- The ability to analyse engineering structures in 2D & 3D
- Able to present clear calculations to justify an engineering proposal and check calculations
- Ability to inspect work on site, record opening up works and defects, recognise and report unsafe working practices
- Awareness of responsibilities under CDM regulations.
- A knowledge of the principles of BIM.
- Knowledge of Revit Structure beneficial but not necessary
- Experienced with using design software such as Autodesk Robot, Tekla Structural Designer or ETABS beneficial but not necessary
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite programs (Outlook, Word and Excel) is essential
Experience and educational background:
- Demonstrable experience of working on an appropriate range of projects at a relevant level either a design office or within the construction industry, including in the UK
- A relevant Civil/Structural Engineering degree, Master’s desired but not essential.
No agencies or recruiters please.