We are looking for a Structural Engineer to join our growing team in Milan.
You will assist in the delivery of projects by taking responsibility for specific areas of the design development, ensuring a good standard of engineering in accordance with Bryden Wood standards and procedures.
The role requires a strong team player, with a relevant level of experience and the ability to think creatively, and act tactically and efficiently. The role will include effective internal team communication, administration, and project co-ordination as well some aspects of business development, as advised by senior management.
- Deliver to deadlines within the design team
- Attendance at relevant internal CPD seminars to further own learning
- Ability to design main structural components from concept to working drawings
- Provide support for Senior Engineers in the design of projects
- Maintain and produce designs which comply with the relevant regulations, company procedures and company standards
- To prepare specifications and contribute to reports to support Senior Engineers
- To understand drawing programmes, schedules, and design check lists
- Ensure that design work is checked and understand the importance of QA procedures
- An awareness of the company business plan and objectives
- Provide project support in design and administration to Senior Engineers
- Deliver appropriate designs as a member of a multi-skilled team
- Ability to work with all areas of the Practice, effectively communicating across other areas of the practise as required, including internationally with teams operating from other offices
- Successful design and delivery of small projects under your control
- Communication across the team where appropriate
- Knowledge of engineering forms and precedents including why they were appropriate to the specific situations
- Experience of running small projects to deliver technical and commercial success.
- Experience of scheming technical solutions and presenting these internally and externally.
- Ability to design and detail in timber, steel, concrete and masonry.
- Ability to analyse engineering structures in 2D & 3D.
- Ability to present clear calculations to justify an engineering proposal and check calculations.
- Ability to inspect work on site, record opening up works and defects, recognise and report unsafe working practices.
- Awareness of responsibilities under CDM regulations.
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and spoken
- Good attention to detail
- Ability to recognise potential design issues for discussion with Senior Engineering management
- Ability to interpret the client’s requirements
- Good negotiation, communication, influencing and written skills
- Integrity and commitment to service
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Ability to identify key project issues and propose viable solutions for discussion with senior colleagues
- Personable, approachable, and flexible
- Demonstrable success in contributing towards the projects you are involved in
- Recognition of limits of own knowledge and when to seek assistance from Senior Engineers.
This description reflects the core activities of the role and is not intended to be exhaustive. Additional duties within the company may be required and as such a flexible working approach is required.